Easing moving day anxiety for children
I have two sons, one of whom is more anxious than the other. We have learned from each of our moves about how to ease the anxiety moving day. Here are my top 7 tips, plus a couple of extra ideas for good measure:
- Put the moving day on a calendar and count down the days with your child.
- Read stories about moving to your child or if they are older, give them books with a move in them.
- Have your child help pack boxes, especially the things from his/her room, and mark the box with his/her name. Explain that they will help unpack these same boxes in their new bedroom in the new house.
- Don’t let your guard down during this chaotic time. Stacked boxes and open doors can be dangerous. Ideally, arrange to have your child stay with a friend or relative during moving day. The empty house could be upsetting to any child but especially to an anxious child who craves routine.
- Don’t pack away all of your child’s favorite things. Favourite items like a book, action figures, crayons, stuffed animals, favourite blankets, etc. can provide comfort and distraction during the move.
- No matter how much you prepare your child, anticipate that moving will be difficult. Set up their room to look similar to the old house and have it set up before they arrive at the new house.
- Moving will be stressful for you, so try to relax and even enjoy the adventure. This will send a signal to your child that everything is going to be okay.
A couple more fun ideas
- Enjoy a picnic at the new house on closing day. Let your child pick the food or simply order take out.
- Give your child something they have wanted in the new house. When our children were younger and we made a big move they finally got the Playstation they had been wanting. If your child likes surprises, they could even find it hidden in the new house (ours did not like surprises).
Change is always hard but usually, it’s so worth it. I’d love to help in any way I can! Just send me an email at Liisa@LiisaVexler.com.
I'm Liisa and I love helping people moving to Ottawa make their home purchase and transition smooth and seamless. I also love helping sellers get the most for their Ottawa home. Let me know how I can help you make your real estate dreams come true.
613-898-1184 (call or text)